Due to mudslide, the train service between Ichihara and Kurama station has been suspended.
Sorry for inconvenience.
About Eizan Railway
Eizan Railway has two lines in the northern part of Kyoto called “Rakuhoku”.
Our starting point is Demachiyanagi station near Kyoto Imperial Palace and Shimogamo-jinja shrine.
From Demachiyanagi station, trains on both lines head north to the Takaragaike station, where the lines split into two directions. One line goes eastward to Yase-Hieizanguchi station, and the other line goes westward to Kibuneguchi and Kurama stations.
Along the westward line, there are a number of shrines and temples with a long history and long-established traditions, such as Kifune-jinja shrine and Kurama-dera temple. The area also has distinctive attractions for each season. Refreshing green leaves in spring, exquisite meals served on the platform built over the cool water in summer, stunning autumn foliage, and snowy scenery in winter.
For the Kurama Line to Kibuneguchi and Kurama stations, we have a special scenic train called “KIRARA” which provides the passengers with wide view of changing seasons from inside through large windows.
For the Eizan Line to Yase-Hieizanguchi station, we have a special train called “HIEI”.
Access from Kansai International Airport
Access from Major Stations
Garden Museum Hiei
（Closed in winter）
Hieizan Enryaku-ji Temple
Maple Tree Tunnel
After 20 minutes train ride from Demachiyanagi station, the trains reach to the part between Ichihara station and Ninose station, called “Maple Tree Tunnel”, where the passengers can enjoy amazing maple leaves on both sides of the train track through the large windows from inside. During this 250meters track between the two stations, there are as many as 280 maple trees, showcasing their refreshing green leaves in summer, and colored leaves in autumn.
Route Map / Value Tickets /
Fare / Timetable
Eizian Line is 5.6km long line from Demachiyanagi station to Yase-Hieizanguchi station. Starting from Demachiyanagi station, the trains run through the popular sightseeing area such as Ichijoji and Shugakuin and reach to the final stop Yase-Hieizanguchi station that is located along Takano-gawa river.
From Yase-Hieizanguchi station, the passengers can take a cable car and ropeway to reach to the top of Mt. Hiei. （Cable car and ropeway are out of service in winter.） There is also bus services to Ohara area from Yase-Hieizanguchi station.
Kurama Line is 8.8km long line from Takaragaike station to Kurama station.
Almost all the trains on this line start from Demachiyanagi station and directly head to Kurama Line via Takaragaike station.
The train ride on this line provides passengers with a variety of scenes, from large fields of countryside to mountainous scenery with steep slopes and curves.
Ee Kippu（Eizan Railway 1-day Ticket）
This 1-day pass ticket “Ee Kippu” is a perfect choice for the passengers who want to fully enjoy many popular tourists attractions along Eizan Railway. This ticket enables passengers to get on and get off at any station as many as one likes on the day. Another feature of this ticket is that by showing this ticket, the passengers are able to get discounts or small gifts at some shrines, temples and many other spots.
Adult（aged 12years or older）: 1,200yen
Child（aged 6 to 11years）: 600yen
<Locations to purchase>
Demachiyanagi station, Shugakuin station, and Kurama station（9:40~16:30）
Throughout the year
<The term of validity>
Any 1-day from the day you purchase the ticket to the end of next month.
All lines of Eizan Railway（Eizan Line and Kurama Line）
Not valid for Eizan cable car and ropeway.
Demachiyanagi Sta. → Ichijoji Sta., Shugakuin Sta.
（Adult: 210 yen Child: 110 yen）
Demachiyanagi Sta. → Yase-Hieizanguchi Sta.
（Adult: 270 yen Child: 170 yen）
Demachiyanagi Sta. → Kibuneguchi Sta., Kurama Sta.
（Adult: 430 yen Child: 220 yen）
JAPAN RAIL PASS cannot be used for Eizan Railway.
How to board the trains of Eizan Railway
Eizan Railway runs on the driver-only operation（Conductorless Train）.
Please see the chart below showing how to board the trains. The passengers’ cooperation is highly appreciated.
From Demachiyanagi station
How to board the trains from Demachiyanagi station
Please purchase a ticket from ticket vending machine at the station and pass the automatic ticket gate to board the train.
- Ticket Vending Machine
- Please purchase a ticket to your destination. You can not purchase special value tickets or charge your IC card with this ticket vending machine. For special value tickets, please go to the information counter. IC card charge machine is installed inside the ticket gates. Please ask the staff on the details.
- Information Counter
- At this information counter, you can purchase various kinds of special value tickets including “Ee Kippu” and “Kurama / Kibune Sightseeing Ticket”.
- Train Departure Board
- Please check the departure time and platform number of your train.
- Ticket Gates
- After passing the ticket gates, you will find three platforms, No.1, No.2, and No.3.
Most trains for Yase-Hieizanguchi depart from the track No.1.
Most trains for Kibuneguchi and Kurama depart from the track No.2 and No.3.
Please check the destination notice of the train carefully since some trains stop on the way, without going to the final stop.
How to exit from Demachiyanagi station
Please bring your ticket or fare to the ticket gate.
From the other stations than Demachiyanagi
How to board the trains from the other stations than Demachiyanagi
- If you have an IC card, please touch the “IC Card Reader” with your card before boarding.
If you don’t have an IC card, please take the “Proof of Boarding Ticket” at the station.
- Some stations have a ticket vending machine, where you can purchase your ticket.
- You board a train from the rear door of the car. If the train has two cars, you will enter from the rear door of a front car.
Please wait at the “Boarding Point” signage on a platform.
You could enter a train from the front door, but please note that you should wait until all the leaving passengers get off the train first.
How to get off the trains at the other stations than Demachiyanagi
- Please exit from front door of the train. If train has two cars, please get off from the front door of a front car.
- Please put your ticket,or fare in the box beside the driver. If you have an IC card, please touch the “IC Card Reader” with your card. If you have a commuter pass, please show it to the driver.
- When trains or stations are crowded with many passengers, it will be announced that the staff will be collecting the tickets, “Proof of Boarding Ticket” and fare at the station to make the flow of passengers smooth. Please exit from any door nearby when you get off the train.